Monday, March 09, 2009

The remodel from hell

You know what they say about contractors? It's ALL TRUE.

Remember Mr. Cabinet? They guy who we paid 8 weeks ago to do cabinets in our kitchen and bathroom? They guy who's contract said 'product will be delivered in 4-6 weeks'? Yeah, he has yet again not shown up when he committed to. And still I think he believes his 'cultural difference' allows him to not show up for a meeting, and not bother phoning us to let us know that he's not going to grace us with his presence. So it's ok in Romania to make an appointment for X o'clock, then not show up and not call?

Today the cabinet install was supposed to start. Which meant that we would have had to approve the stain color last week. Which meant that Mr. Cabinet SHOULD have called us last Friday like he'd agreed. Or even Saturday. Or Sunday. OR TODAY. We've had problems with him from the start, and we're out a few grand already for work that hasn't come to pass. So now what do we do? The cabinets are over two weeks late being installed, and we can't get our contractor to talk with us about it.

You know what's even more awesome then just that? Because my hubby is super on top of it, we haven't had floors in our house for about 3 weeks. You know, so that Mr. Cabinet could install them all the way to the foundation properly. And now our flooring guy (who had planned on doing the floors THIS week because Mr. Cabinet promised he'd be done) is going on a family vacation, and won't be able to do the tile install for at least 2 more weeks.

I'm walking on disgusting, dust-covered concrete, we are down to only one bathroom (which means Ryan is using mine. Boy cooties!), we have NOTHING in our kitchen (because, you know, Ryan packed it all up to prepare for His Highness Mr. Cabinet whenever it's CONVENIENT for him to install our cabinets), we have no food in the fridge (because we thought it was going to be unplugged today for said shiesty cabinet guy), the living room is half painted, the living room ceiling fan/light is still broken (and the manufacturer only sent the fan blades, not the arms, which DUH!)...... It is a disaster zone and there's no end in sight.

At this point I don't like being in my own home. It's a nightmare and it's not a calm environment after a day stuck behind my work computer. This remodel isn't fun or even exciting anymore. It's a giant pain in my a$$. I'm thinking at this point it might be easier to just move...

**update**
Evidently Mr. Cabinet didn't even buy the right stain for the cabinets, but was he planning on calling to tell us that? No. So now we're trying to figure out a time to do this. I've never seen my husband so mad.


(click for notes)

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

:( Yuck!!! You've got a really pretty kitchen though - I imagine it when it's done and it's going to be amazing :D

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pain in the butt! Your photo comments are funny. (If it's anything to you, I dont' think your cabinets are ugly...in fact, I sort of like your cabinets. I'll trade you your cabinets for mine. hehee!) Hope your cabinets, painting and floors get done soon. Can't wait to see the before and after pics!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having bad remodeling experiences. My dad owns a residential remodeling company that my grandfather started over 50 years ago - and unfortunately this is the experience some people have when they don't hire a reliable company. It is always hard to hear because I know there is a better way. I hope your experiences improve. :)

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com