Thursday, March 12, 2009

Giving out other people's dough

Tonight was my first meeting on a United Way allocation panel.  I had so much fun as a Loaned Executive for the United Way for three months, but that was collecting money.  Now I get to GIVE the money.  

I admit I volunteered for the Disabilities and Special Needs panel because of my mom.  She spent her life being an advocate for the disabled, and I saw this as an amazing opportunity to continue it!  

But really, what a gift!  I get to look at all the money generously donated by the community and I get to help decide where it goes.  But it's a burden too.  The panel received applications from some amazing agencies who really help those who couldn't find help anywhere else.  How to decide?  

Tonight we got to hear about the Marc Center.  They provide in-home services for the house-bound, day services for adults who don't have a place in society and need a safe haven during the day, a residential program to teach skills for independent living, and a vocational program to teach the disabled the nuances of working in the real world (and they earn money while they learn!).   I've visited the Marc Center a few times and was so amazed.  I had no idea the number of disabled people who needed help, and it's just incredible that a place like this exists.

So great, give the money to them!  Ahh, but we still have the Foundation for Blind Children (give THEM the money!), the Special Olympics (no, THEY should get the money), and many others.  

It's a wonderful problem to have.  Money to give, and people who need it.  And the whole time I was sitting there scoring the Marc Center on outcomes, financial audits, budgets, and future planning, I knew my mom would have been proud.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine worked for the United Way for a while after college! Good for you for getting involved and making a positive difference.

8:40 AM  
Blogger indeazgirl said...

What a great opportunity. I had no idea this money went to so many organizations. That's wonderful!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like a really neat thing to see - programs like this are so important!!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com