Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life is good

Back in July I applied for a temporary "job" in my company. Every year my company sends one person to the local United Way to work for three months as a loaned employee. I couldn't believe it when they picked me to do it! I work for a huge company, and it's well known that up-and-comers are sent for this assignment. Me! But more then that, it meant that instead of being in my stuffy office for three months, I was going to be out doing good in the community.

I've been at it now for almost three and a half months, and I've never had more fun in my professional life. As a Loaned Executive (that's what they call us, isn't it silly?), I have about 35 companies assigned to me and it's my job to help them during their giving campaigns. So I spend my time having brainstorming meetings with the companies' campaign leads, I give presentations to every walk of life, I flip pancakes, scoop ice cream, draw raffle tickets, and whatever else they need me to do. I'm having a blast, and I'm heartbroken that it has to end eventually.

The very best part of this whole experience has been visiting the agencies that receive funding from the United Way. I had no idea what was going on in my own community! I've visited children's shelters, group homes, mens shelters, food banks... and tomorrow I'm going to the Foundation for Blind Children.

While I still can't believe my incredible luck at having this opportunity, it couldn't have come at a more perfect time. My mom spent her career helping those who needed help, and I was so proud to visit her in the hospital and see how excited she was to hear about all the agencies I was visiting, and all the good I was doing. But more then that, I don't know how I would have gotten through this without something really good going on in my life. I know how fortunate I am to have had a wonderful mother, and I'm reminded that every day when I hear stories of children who have grown up without even the dream of that.

I only have 2 weeks left of this, and I'm trying my best to suck it all up as much as I can. Gotta go back to my real life soon. *sigh*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool!

2:57 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

holy moly -- I haven't been reading your blog and I apologize. I'm five posts behind.
So proud of your work at UW. They are lucky to have you!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com