Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Donate Hair!

Today is the one year anniversary of my mom's death. I got tons of cards after she passed with people giving me advice like "time will heal" and "it will get easier with time". I don't think I agree with that because I still reach for the phone when something interesting happens in my life.


I miss my mom every day, so instead of making a big deal out of today, I decided to be proactive. Do something good, but something that took sacrifice on my part. My mom was so darned tough when she was sick, so I knew I had to do something brave to honor her memory.


So today I chopped 10 full inches off my hair for Pantene Beautiful Lengths. I've been growing my hair out for this purpose since my mom got sick, but every time I went in for a cut, I chickened out. Today it was now or never!

(yes, I am crying like a baby in this picture. baby! it's hair! it grows back!)

I picked Beautiful Lengths for two reasons: 1) they make wigs for women with cancer and 2) I only needed to cut 8 inches off. But of course, my trusted stylist convinced me to give just a bit more. :-) I decided not to go with Locks of Love not because I don't think it's a worthy charity, but because I really felt strongly that I wanted to help someone with cancer. Cancer is impossible, the treatment is horrible, I think it is so important that these women have one, good thing given to them: the chance to look like themselves. I watched my mom lose her hair twice and as a woman, I could see that even though she felt horrible and was sick constantly, losing her hair was still the worst part.

So if you have at least 8 inches, I can tell you now from experience that you will feel SO good when you put your pony tail in an envelope and ship it off so someone else can have the dignity of a beautiful head of hair.


Added bonus: turns out my salon does cuts for FREE if you're donating it. Oh, and I adore my new hair cut and I can't wait to do it all over again.

**Note: all pics were taken by my assistant/second shooter.... my hubby Ryan! He's getting good, eh?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Min said...

She did a fab job! so cute.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Your hair is adorable. It's been a long time since I cried about your mom not being here, but today was hard. And that last photo of you reminds me so much of her what with the pups and all. You look fabulous and your mother would be so proud of you for being your clever self and spending your day remembering her in this way. Love you!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous SunnyInspiration said...

I totally love the new cut! That was a win-win!

10:31 PM  
Blogger hg said...

What a great post - good for you. I'm sure your mom would be proud.

And you're right, some wounds time just won't heal. You get used to the pain and the sorrow, but it never goes away.

And I loev the new hair cut!

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl, you are so beautiful inside and out. God Bless YOU.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

:) What a beautiful gift. It's such a hard day - just so many tears. :(

6:48 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

I really do love the cut and can't wait to see it curly.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com