Sunday, April 05, 2009

Chihuly Exhibit Pictures- Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden

Woah.  I just realized that I've turned into a bit of a camera snob.  Yikes!  What did it take to get me to that point?  One trip to the Desert Botanical Gardens to see the Chihuly exhibit.



Stupid me, I thought because the Gardens sold a finite amount of tickets it would be a calm experience with people who could linger and enjoy the gorgeous art placed among the desert plants.  I was wrong.  I was SO wrong.  The place was elbow-to-elbow and everyone was a photographer.  


I'm not the greatest photographer, but I work really hard to learn my camera and to make smart choices to get the picture I want.  I can't tell you how many of the pictures I took last night were thrown out because they either: a) had someone else's flash in them, or b) someone walked through my long exposure creating a fuzzy ghosty thing.  Frustrating!  


I just know I could have done better if I wasn't up against all the point-and-shoot photogs.  My advice to someone who wants to be a better photographer?  Here we go:

1)  Don't be a slave to your camera.  When you let the camera make choices for you, lots of times you'll be frustrated that your pictures didn't turn out how you wanted.  In this case:  turn off your flash already!  When you use a flash with a lit-up object in the dark, you totally lose the effect of the object being lit up.


2) Get a tripod.  Tripods are totally essential for night photography, landscapes, self-portraits, and any time you need to interact with your subject to get them to look at you.


3)  Think of your digital camera as if it was a film camera.  More does not equal better.  Instead of taking 50 pictures of the same thing trying to get a good picture, try to figure out how to get it good in one shot.  

Tips for people who want serious pictures of the exhibit here in Phoenix:  don't go on a Saturday.


(side note:  my hubby took the following picture!  Look who's figured out effective use of depth of field!  yay!)


4 Comments:

Anonymous SunnyInspiration said...

Beautiful shots! I should totally see this at night! Sorry you went as such a busy time though. Bummer.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

gorgeous photos! You make it look as though you were the only one there :)

6:44 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

These really are great shots Panda!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I can't agree more about the flash. I see people with slrs using the flash... *puzzled*

Your shots are awesome !!! Managed to do well despite all the people!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com