Sunday, February 15, 2009

Comfort Food

***aside from the post** First..  I am SO excited because our new illustrious President is coming to MY OLD HIGH SCHOOL this week.  Darn it all!  I hate that I'm a responsible adult and have to work this week.  I'm feeling a little Fan Girl about Obama, and I'm seriously considering calling in sick to my super conservative boss tomorrow.  Not a good idea?  Yeah, I didn't think so either.  ***

Despite having a good day full of do-gooder stuff, I'm feeling a tad bummed tonight.  This next weekend is my mom's ash-spreading.  I try really hard to deal with my sadness, but I've been dreading this week for months. 



So instead of dwelling.... I'm eating.  When I'm feeling a little down, I feed it with Eggs del Monico.  Never heard of it?  I'm pretty sure my mom made it up, but I have such good memories of this meal from my childhood.  My mom used to make it for dinners when she had a rough day, or for breakfast in the mornings.  Especially when we were camping.  Nothing is better then this creamy warm meal for a cold morning in the forest.



Then when I went away to college and I took Eggs del Monico with me.  When I was feeling homesick, I organized a dorm hallway Eggs del Monico Party.  My girlfriends and I would make pots of the stuff and feed anyone who walked by.  

The best part?  It's easy and just feels good sitting in your stomach.  The ultimate comfort food.  
Eggs del Monico Recipe:
Hard boil some eggs
Heat up a few cans of cream of mushroom soup (don't add water)
Add gobs of cheese to the soup
Cut up eggs into the soupy cheesy thing
Serve the whole thing over toast
Don't bother with veggies on the side.  This is comfort food after all...

I do feel a bit better after eating my mom's favorite comfy food.  I'm guessing the glass of wine didn't hurt either...  :-)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend. I imagine this hasn't been an easy ride for you. That recipe looks interesting!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I hope it all goes well this weekend, I'll be thinking of you. Hugs. :)

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com