Monday, January 26, 2009

Magic

Well, we did have a good time in Monument Valley.  It was cold as anything and windy as heck, but gorgeous.  I've never, for all the vacationing we do, had a true photography vacation.  Photography always comes second to traveling, and I know in part it's because I just don't want Ryan to be miserable about it.  But it was such a sweet relief to know I could take my time and be a photographer and little else.  



We woke up before dawn, stalked sights in the park during the day, we stopped the vehicle when I wanted to stop, and we stood breathlessly, quietly, waiting to see if the sun would create the perfect magic at sunset.  And Ryan was such a good sport.  He even walked up and down the rim of the canyon hunting out interesting views for me.  



Monument Valley is gorgeous and magic.  And silent.  There are very few cars, and I didn't hear a plane all weekend.  There was something spiritual about being awake before the dawn and waiting for nature to create something.  Even the incredibly thick fog that hid the valley on Saturday morning was amazing.  We couldn't even see the outline of the sun, and then about 10am everything started clearing up with fog swimming over all the amazing rocks.  



And while I'm terrified to show these images which feel very personal to the perfectionist photographers I was on the trip with, I'm proud of them.  But more then that, they're more then just pictures of a valley, they're memories of another great trip with my husband.  So of course we had to have one picture of more then just the rocks.  :-)  I blame the skewed angle on the wind.  Mother Nature didn't feel like this picture had to be perfect.  



(oh, and look at yesterday's post.  turns out Photoshop does make things better...)

5 Comments:

Blogger African Kelli said...

Those photos really are great!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!! Glad you had a good time.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda! I stumbled on your blog through Kelli's. Your photos are beautiful! I'll have to mark your page so I can check for updates. Hope you're doing well!

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I really like them.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Holy moly!! Your pics are amazing!! Wow!! :D

Do you not enable your feed? I wanted to subscribe to your feed since I use google reader.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com