Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Always learning

OK, look.  I'm a 'photographer'.  I like taking pictures, and I fit a certain niche for some brides (not overworked, inexpensive, not TOO artsy fartsy), but I don't feel like an expert by any stretch.  I hope the fact that I feel that way makes me a good photographer in that I'm always learning.  

This weekend I'm tagging along with a brilliant landscape photographer on one of his photo 'workshops'.  He and a select group of photographers he respects go on these painstakingly researched photo trips a few times a year, and I've always been amazed at his absolutely incredible talent.  Honestly, you have to check out his stuff.  This trip I got invited.  Little ole insignificant photo-taking me.  

I'm totally stressed about it.  Other then going out into nature and pointing my camera at stuff, I have no landscape photography experience.  It's a whole different set of skills from portrait photography.  I know I'll learn a lot, I'm just terrified that I'm going to come off as an idiot with these guys.  Oh please, please, please don't make me look like an idiot!  I don't even have the right equipment!  

My hope for the weekend is I at least learn what in the hell a graduated neutral density filter does and how to use it.  Or at least how to make clouds look pretty.  

Or maybe I'll just settle for enjoying the scenery in a part of Arizona I've never been to before... 

(this one I took in Alaska last year.  Pepped up with my new Photoshop Actions)

5 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Oh I like! I was in a ton of photography classes in college but the memory thing has totally taken all that learning away. This is beautiful! I'm sure you won't look like an idiot. And who cares if you do. Really does IT really matter what people think? LOL

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good time at the workshop! Post some of your pics!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

LOVE the picture!

I should really take some photoshop lessons or something, or just get a new camera

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always amaze me! you are so talented! love you

8:46 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Yep. That is gorgeous!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com