Thursday, November 08, 2007

nablopoMOOOOOO

*sniff* My gay couple cancelled our meeting. I take everything too personally, so of course the first thing I thought is that they don't want to work with us. I know that's irrational. I guess maybe I was looking forward to it entirely too much. We're going to try to reschedule though.

This NaBloPoMo is endless entertainment in our house. I'll say to Ryan "Hey, I'm gonna be on the computer for awhile, is that OK?", and he'll do a rapid fire litany of different pronunciations of NaBloPoMo. naBLAAAAHHHHpomo. nabloPOOOOmo. nablapomo (super fast, in a French accent).

Ryan and I talk a lot about dreaming, mostly because I dream so vividly and he doesn't dream at all. To boot, I'm a lucid dreamer, which means I can control my dreams when I'm in them. Well the other night we were talking about this friend of his who's been going to some acupuncturist who insisted that in order to be balanced or some shit, he needed to dream regularly. So he 'prescribed' this thing called mugwort for this guy to apply to his temples before bed. Evidently this stuff causes hallucinations, among other things. And very vivid dreams. This guy was dreaming so vividly that he wasn't sleeping.

I know the feeling.

I dream so much and so vividly that I never feel rested. Ryan says that being able to dream like I do means I could be more 'open' then other people. He thinks with meditation I could harness it to do.... well I'm not sure what. But let me tell you, I would pay good money for a night with no dreams. Especially after last night.

Its not very often that I have scary dreams, in fact most nights they're so good I'd love to stay in bed forever. But last night I dreamed that a serial killer and his son broke into our house, Ryan fought them so I could escape, and by the time I got back with the police they had already beheaded my husband and put the head in the microwave. SERIOUSLY! And I don't watch horror films at all. How horrific is that? I was so terrified that I woke myself up screaming. Oh, did I mention I tend to talk or scream in my sleep occasionally?

So tell me, do you dream? And if you do, do you KNOW you're dreaming when you are? Can you change your dreams like I can?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened across your blog. I'm also a firefighter's wife. Nice to meet you. I'm subscribing to your feed. (Also nablopomoing.)

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dream really vividly and in color. sometimes i can control them, but not that often. i totally have recurring dreams, too. and i have the ones where i'm sobbing uncontrollably in them and wake up exhausted like i've been crying all night. but i like that i dream. because i just had a baby, i spent weeks not dreaming because i wasn't sleeping long enough to get to the state where i dream, and i missed it. now i'm back to occasional nights where i dream and i'm happy. Jason doesn't dream (or doesn't remember them) either. he thinks it's weird.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dream similarly to Min. I often have vivid enough dreams that I have to really start my day to figure out what parts where dream and what parts, if any, were real life. Kinda creepy. When I was younger I had several sets of scary recurring dreams. The one that was the longest was when I was being marched up a mountain by vikings and they kept trying to make me go down some hole. I always woke up. One night, I forced myself to stay asleep and went down the hole. There was a carnival down there!! I was mad I hadn't gone earlier ;)
I hope you can have a restful sleep real soon!
And for the record, Mike doesn't remember dreams either. What's with these guys?

7:31 PM  
Blogger melati said...

Hi! Thanks for the birthday of happy wishes. I tried to poke around your site for an email address but I couldn't find one...

I don't have my website up and running yet for catering, but I would love to chat! It would be fun to work with you. :)

email me if you have time!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

I had sleep anxiety for years. No matter how tired I was I wouldn't be able to fall asleep and when I finally did it wouldn't be long enough to fall into REM. Since taking meds at the start of this summer I sleep like a baby and have been dreaming like crazy! Sometimes they are repetitive, my usual one is being in a plane and it's going down, down, down in not a good way. But I'm laughing and yelling out I knew it! I knew it! For some reason I have it in my head that I am going to die in a plane crash. And no, I am not the least bit afraid of flying, it's actually one of m y most favourite things to do.
Honestly though...it's veeerrrry creeepy that you would dream of Ryans head in the microwave. That would scare me to death!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com