Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Wish you were here....

HELLLLLLOOOOOO!

That right there? Is delirium. I'm sitting at my little desk in my teeny tiny British hotel room (I think they call this 'country quaint'?) trying to get a handle on my
swimming brain. I left Phx and my happy life on Sunday night after a tearful goodbye to my hubby. After checking in and heading up to the business class lounge (I know, spoiled) I was promptly upgraded to First Class! You have to capitalize First Class because it is JUST THAT AWESOME. (although I'm thinking I'm the only person who was watching The Incredibles in First. All those other saps were actually WORKING while I was living it up.) Imagine being pampered, then times it by 5. Awesome I tell you, and with my soft First Pillow, comfy First duvet, and roomy First bed in my First cubby after drinking First wine and letting First chocolates melt in my mouth, I slept like a baby for a record 5 hours. I was SURE I was going to miss out on the jet lag insanity.

Skip ahead to last night. Picture me waking up at 11:45pm and alternating crying, calling family (called Ryan an obsessive 3 times) and generally freaking out until 3:30am. When it comes to International travel, the nighttime is my enemy. I dread it. Even now I'm so exhausted I can't think straight, its 9:15pm, and I just can't bring myself to get ready for another night of homesickness and sleeplessness.

To add to that, the reason I couldn't fall asleep at all is because my father wrote me a
slightly berating email (just a tad, because I hadn't called to tell them I got here). Oh and by the way? They decided to admit your mom to the hospital today for more chemo. That right there is what made me so incredibly apprehensive about this trip. My mom. She would hate it that I'm so stressed about it, but I have this huge guilt hanging on my shoulders today over the fact that I agreed to be here when really I should be at home taking my turn next to her bed.

Ok, besides that. Here's the good: I just got back from the most delicious dinner at
my most favorite restaurant here in England. The Helyar Arms prides itself on making gourmet food from products from the surrounding farms. Oh my goodness.... So tonight I had myself creamy leak and potato soup with a granary roll and a salad that had fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh goat cheese, lettuce, red onion, and dressings on the side to choose from topped with toasted bread. I was one of the only people in the restaurant, but I really wanted to take a picture of my food for you. So here you go. Crappy pictures because I'm trying my hardest to take the picture while the staff wasn't looking. Seriously worst pics ever, but whatever. Anyway....












The bad: my hotel can bite me. It was the only hotel available so I was kind of stuck. I have a twin-sized bed in an outdated room that smells like smoke. The hotel is known for their restaurant, but when I went downstairs last night I realized that I was SORELY under dressed. I ended up eating outside on a picnic table like a uncouth freak.

The good: I think I might get some good work done here. AND, I've managed to book myself at the fanciest hotel in town (comfy beds! gym equipment!) for 5 nights. Hopefully they'll have an opening so I can stay the whole rest of my trip. But it looks like I'm going to have 4 different hotels right now. Anyway....

I'm dying to show you pictures of the INSANITY that Ryan and I participated in on Saturday last weekend. Curious? Here's something to get you thinking until tomorrow (and I'll also tell you that 3 people in our group got tickets, and another was picked up by the police in his speedo about 5 miles away from where the rest of
us were. Awesome. hehehe):



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd sooooo soak it up if i were in 1st class because it would probably be the 1st, last & only time.
4 hotels? i hope the best one has an opening for you soon.

3:19 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I think your mom will read this and smile, knowing that you made the right decision to take that chance and get on the plane. I'll say an extra prayer before I tuck in tonight.

First class sounds divine. I used to fly so often with Canada's national airline that I'd get bumped up fairly regularly. These days, I fly whatever the vendors who invite me to conferences dictate. To wit, I'll be flying economy class all the way to China in just a few days.

I've already read up on the symptoms of deep vein thrombosis, just in case :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Let's just say that if fire fighters are dressing as donut eaters and there was alcohol involved, are you sure it is safe for the general public? Because just the combination of fire fighters and alcohol is not good. But it looks like they had fun.

I can't wait to see the photos of England.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com