Sunday, May 20, 2007

And at the end...

I know I haven't written since I've been back. After the jetlag let go, I was faced with yet another unscheduled hospital visit for my mom. She was admitted on Tuesday with a high temp. I know she's frustrated because she doesn't feel like she's ill enough right now to be stuck in that hospital room, but after her last infection they're not taking any chances.

I've been tossing the idea around in my head for a while of throwing a party for my mom to celebrate kicking cancer's ass. The theme, I know, is going to be Asian to highlight the wonderful paper crane project she's undertaken. She received 1000 paper cranes from her amazing friends at work in accordance with Japanese custom. My mom, who has taken every opportunity during this struggle to create postitive things out of an impossible situation, worked with the hospital to get the cranes into the children's cancer ward to give them hope as well. I've been in her room when she's talked to counselors, nurses, doctors, anyone... who would listen to her idea of spreading hope through these cranes...

Back to the party. I have been so impressed with the people in my mom's life who have done so much to help her get through all her treatments, hospital stays, infections, ICU visits, difficult recoveries at home.. I just had to do something. So I'm throwing a party! A thank you party for everyone who has shown there love for my mom because she deserves it. She's just that wonderful...

But at the same time as we're shaking our heads wondering how all these people could do so much for one person, we've definitely discovered who true friends are. It is amazing the people who disappear when something like Lukemia strikes. My mom's closest colleague at work, her oldest friend.. Where are they?

And one of the things that has amazed me is how some of my girlfriends stepped up. I've had a lot of time over the last 7 months to think about why people react the way they do.. And on a selfish note, I've been thinking about how wonderful my girlfriends are and how much I love them. Bec has visited my parents, sent magazines to keep my mom entertained, constantly checked to see how I was dealing, and she even got her parents involved. They sent cards to my mom! Not that I should be surprised because they're amazing people... And then there's my girlfriends who moved far away. Not only did KC send her well-wishes, she comissioned her awesome mama to make some meals when things were rough. And Jen, my oldest friend, sent my mom DVDs to make the hospital more tolerable and she and her boyfriend not only visited with my mom, but her bf took it upon himself to get involed in the paper crane project! He's responsible for the paper crane decoration my mom has in her hospital room right now, and I hear he's making some decorations for our party. Hope this guy sticks around! Love him.

And then there's Kel. Everyone who reads Kel's blog knows that she's a giving person, but with my mom.... I just don't know what to say. She's made meals. She's crafted gifts. But most of all, she's just been there. For me and my mom. I don't know how many times she's been to the hospital, but I have a feeling by reading on her blog about her 'friend Judy' that its more times than I know. I just don't know what to say about that.

I guess my point with this is that even though I know my girlfriends have done these things because my mom is such a good person, I really do think they've done it because they love me. And I'll be forever greatful that I have such good friends...

8 Comments:

Blogger Ramona said...

Awww...you definitely have some very awesome people in your life. I love how your mom has developed the kids crane project. She absolutely sounds like a wonderful lady. The party sounds like a great idea! She'll love it!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back.

your mom's an amazing woman. i can tell just by the way you talk about her.

11:14 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Oh man. i'm crying. Dammit!
I love your mama Amanda. She is an extension of you. Or vice versa. You know what I mean. And I know that without a doubt, if the shoe were on the other foot, you would be there with me and my mama.
This is what friendship is all about.
Love you!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back and planning a party! I'm sure you're mama will love it!! And it sounds like you'll have plenty of help as well. Enjoy! :)

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so awesome... What a perfect reason to celebrate. It's great that you are surrounded by such a wonderful group of friends.

My Dad is feeling better -- They changed his meds, and gave him energy pills, and now my Step Mom says she needs them to keep up with him (even with him encumbered with a walker! LOL!)

Sorry to hear your Mom was in the hospital though -- I'm glad she's getting great care.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops... That was me -- Somehow it lost my deets!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope everything is going ok. You haven't blogged in a while

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

I too, am hoing that everything is okay...

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com