Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mika Mug Shots

Tonight I've got a big night planned. I've had my flash for a week now and other then random picture taking of dogs around the house I haven't done anything serious with it yet. So I've got an assignment planned for myself and I hope to share something tomorrow.

However, until then, let's talk. Let's talk about why it took me so long to get a flash, and why YOU should get an external flash for your camera. First off, apologies for the totally crappy pictures, but I grabbed these two pictures of Mika to show you what I'm talking about. Take a look. Which one looks more natural?


Ok, admittedly, really not the best pictures, but I think they do the job. Notice in the picture on the left the reflection of the flash in her eyes, the nasty shadow behind her head on the left there, how you can't make out the expression in her features really well.... That's with the flash on my camera. But look what happens when I throw the new flash on! In the picture on the right you can actually see the expression on Mika's silly face, there's no shadow behind her head, and the whole room is lit with natural-looking light.


See! I swear I can't imagine how I survived so long without that flash.

In other photography news, I've been lacking in creativity the last few months. I'd like to blame it on family stuff etc., but I know that's not it. I haven't been pushing myself at all. So... I joined the photography club at my work! My first meeting is this Thursday night and the assignment for this month is "Occupation". Since it is my first meeting, I decided to submit some pictures I had laying around of firefighters on the job. I know, I know, I need some new subjects. Anyway, here's an oldie but a goodie that I submitted. Hopefully I'll have more inspired pics for you tomorrow!



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mika shots are awesome but I am so sad because you aren't telling what kind of flash did such a good job... and what kind of camera?

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having to do some major blog catching up!
I never knew that you could get an external flash? Does it attach to your camera, or is it something completely seperate? I can TOTALLY see the difference in the two photos. Amazing difference really.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com