Monday, February 19, 2007

Well as it turns out....

.... yes, we were crazy to go skiing. We left at 4am on Saturday and drove straight to the resort. I felt sick the whole way up. Then the excitement of being there overtook my better judgement. I've been skiing only 4 times, and each of those times I've limited my skiing to the bunny slope and one green run. But this time all that new beautiful snow tempted me straight to the top. And I really wanted to be with Ryan and Rebecca and Matt. Even though the latter two are used to black diamonds. I got off the lift without incident. Then I hit the freshly groomed snow on the run. And it was hard. Very hard. And I don't know whether it was because of what happened to Ryan, or the pressure of not holding back the others, or the run I'd never been on, or my attitude, or the 5 hours sleep, but I froze. I couldn't move. I finally warmed up toward the bottom (even though I was still slow), but then I went up to the top again, and on the first steep part I fell pretty good, and that was it. I couldn't get it together the whole rest of the day. Bec and Matt went their own way, and Ryan went with me to the bottom and he refused to snowboard the rest of the day.

I was so embarrassed. I mean there were little kids flying past me, and there I am standing in one spot on that mountain. Trying to convince my brain to get back into my head so I could just DO something. And Ryan was so frustrated with me and I felt like I'd never be able to fix it. But he never was mean about it. But now he's saying he's done snowboarding. Between his accident and my fear of, well, everything, he says that's it. I can't tell you how much that kills me. I'm going to force us both to go again next year, and I'm starting where I'm comfortable and I'm not going any faster then I want. I know he really wants me to be able to keep up with him, but I just don't have a daring bone in my body. I don't know... I'm just so embarrassed...

So while Bec and Matt skied the rest of the day, Ryan and I had a (nasty) lunch at the resort, some 4 Peaks Kiltlifter beer (the best!), then decided to take the new Jeep out for its first adventure. But our innocent inaugural Jeep trip took a bad turn. We got into some sloppy mud, the kind you have to keep driving through or you'll get stuck. As soon as we got past it, we turned around to go back and Ryan drove a little up on the side of the road to get out of the mud. And we got high-centered on a rock. We dragged the rock a good 10 ft., then steam started pouring from the engine compartment (we think because of the water). It took a while but we finally got the Jeep off of the rock, but by the time we were free the outside and the inside of the Jeep were caked in mud. Our brand new shiny Jeep is now officially broken in.

One last thing: Remember Fred V2.0? That nasty Frankenstein lump on my neck? Well, I finally went to the doctor and it turns out I am allergic to stitches. How crazy is that? Which also explains why when I had the garden clipper disaster or 2002, my hand split right back open when they took out the stitches. So anyway, with my neck there's a bunch of internal disolvable stitches that my body is angry at. The doc says it might be a few months before I stop looking like a freak, and until then I get to drain that thing every day. Nasty, right?

OK, that's it for me. I'm going to go start dinner while listening to the awesome rain storm outside. We're having spicy meatball subs. Later!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

at least you go up to the top of the mountain, no matter how big it is.......
i wouldn't be caught dead skiing. skiing for me = sitting in the lodge watching people, mostly guys

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I highly respect your desire to stick it out with the more advanced skiiers/boarders. I went skiing once and was left behind on the bunny slopes, but I had no desire to improve so it was OK with me. I'm sure the next time you guys hit the slopes it will be less problematic.

I am sorry to hear about the Jeep. I once did that with one of my lower-riding cars (only it wasn't in the mud, but on a gravel road and one of my tires was too low), and I ended up poking a hole in my oil pan which spewed into a huge ordeal. Glad your's wasn't so dramatic! :)

Enjoy the meatballs, and remember the TUMS.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you're on step ahead of me on the slopes. Chris used to snowboard all the time but I flat out refuse to learn to ski or snowboard. I really have no desire. I hate playing in the snow. Lol. But I feel terrible because Chris hasn't been snowboarding since we met. It really bums me out.. I've even told him to head up with some buddies to go.. but he never has.. It's definitely a tough spot for you, especially since you're really trying to learn but you've had some bad experiences on the way. Good luck with that!

1:36 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

i want photos!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com