Monday, February 26, 2007

I am an Idiot

I just got a bonus at work, so I treated myself (a rare thing) to something I really wanted: a new flash. I've wanted one forever, and I waited all afternoon for that thing to show up today. 7pm. No show. So I looked online and it swears to me that the package was delivered to my porch.

Back up two hours. I'm home alone and the doorbell rings. I stupidly answer it (I just feel bad not answering. Its rude). There's this shady looking guy standing there in a dress shirt and tie.

"Are you mumble mumble the house?"
Am I alone in the house?! Is that what he just asked?

"Um, I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"Are you the lady of the house? 'Cause you look so young. I promise I'm not selling
anything"

"Are you selling magazines?"

"Yes"

"Bye then"

Cut back to 7pm. See: me running from house to house in the neighborhood asking
if anyone bought magazines from that man because I needed to track him down. He stole my flash. My faith is restored as my neighbors also haven't bought from the scary man, but now I have no lead on my thief. So I called UPS.

"Miss, I see the package was delivered this afternoon to 1009 S. 92nd st."

DOH! My old address. Amazon kept my old address! If I ever wanted to see my many hundreds of dollars worth of flash, I'd have to face the miscreants who ruined my old house. The people whose house we flooded before they even moved in. I didn't think they'd be happy to see me.

Luckily they're the type of people who DON'T open the door to strange people. So I rang twice, listened to them shushing their dogs, then I took the package off the
doorstep and ran.

Hello new flash!



(Note: for all my camera and accessory choices, I start with Ken Rockwell. He's great for camera techniques too!)

Really quick, the portraits went pretty well at the Mardi Gras party. I had a borrowed flash, which had at one point in its life been dropped, and I got so frustrated with it I gave up and used the crappy on-camera flash. My new 18-200 lens makes a nasty shadow with that thing if I'm not careful. Not to mention that bad flash shadow you get behind people using your camera flash. Anyway, everyone had fun doing the pictures, they even got into wearing the provided props, and that's what counts. Especially when the pictures were free! But here's one of my favorites (I don't know
these people):


The event was a total success. They raised all kinds of money for a worthy charity, there were drunk people dancing all over the place, and over 500 people showed. Very nice. My dates for the evening: my in-laws! I had a lot of fun with them. Although..... my father-in-law bid on a fertility statue in the silent auction (hint hint). :-) He won, so I imagine we'll be seeing that soon. They're anxious for little ones! Ryan wasn't there, so it was a rare opportunity for me to have them all to myself. No dancing for my mother-in-law! She's got a giant purple cast on her foot. But in true form, she totally matched her jewelry to the cast!



That's all for today. Thanks for stopping by. I see a lot of returning type people stopping in here. If you haven't left me a message, please do so I can visit you right back. Happy Monday!

8 Comments:

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Well-captured moment between the happy couple :).

Your new flash reminded that I must get out my dSLR and take some photos before summer ends!

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, sometimes you crack me up amanda =D

8:46 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Such a good shot! And I am so glad you were able to swipe your flash back.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That party looked rockin'! Isn't it so great when you actually get along with the in-laws.

I loved the story of you taking off with the UPS box from your old house's porch! I can picture it perfectly! :)

5:43 PM  
Blogger jennypenny said...

i swear we are living in some sort of parrellell universe! i just got MY sb600 too!!! i love it although i am still learning who to use it...

whats next?? i really want the 12-24 lens but my mastercard is revolting!!

take care hun

12:03 AM  
Blogger Fatma said...

Love the pic!
cracked up at that weird man tale!
And to answer your question dear, am back now! For good I hope! Thank you so much! :-)

Fitèna

2:22 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Funny story! I never answer the door when strange people ring the bell. I really don't care if they know I'm there or not.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda! That 'mumble mumble' part killed me!!

Cool headshot... Looks like a lot of fun.

Your Mom is in my thoughts.

...Tanya

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com