Monday, February 05, 2007

The Haunting

Do you watch the show The Medium? I just started watching and I kinda love it. I've also started watching Ghost Whisperer. (Thanks DVR!) Oh yeah, and Ryan and I both love Ghost Hunters. See a theme here? There's something about this kind of thing that really interests me. In general I'm the kind of person who needs to see something to believe it, but there's just something about this idea of ghosts. Like on that show Ghost Hunters they use actual scientific methods to try to disprove hauntings, but sometimes they just can't disprove it. And have you ever been in a room alone and just felt like there was someone in there with you watching? Or how about you're home alone and your dogs are looking at something that isn't there in a corner, or they're acting spooked but you can't pinpoint why.

I just don't know, but it is interesting to read about people who truly believe they can see things. Did you know that The Medium is based on a real person? Her name in real life is Allison DuBois, just like in the show, and she's from Arizona. She claims that she's been in contact with ghosts since she was little, and that she's open to other things as well, like reading minds. The reason I'm thinking about this today is because when that Broadway show The Spelling Bee (ok, its ACTUALLY The 25th Aunnual Putnam County Spelling Bee) travels, they enlist local celebrities in each town to be a part of the show. The local celeb when we saw it this last week was none other than Allison DuBois. It took me halfway through the show to figure out who she was though. Then suddenly it hit me, so I leaned over and told Ryan who it was and he was thrilled! He's so into that stuff.

So today I looked her up to see what I could find. What I found was LOTS of controversy. Go ahead, Google her. There's a lot of people out there who have dedicated blog posts, forums, and even whole websites to saying what a fraud she is. So I read a few, and I read some about the scientific studies they've done on her, and I have two thoughts: 1) If there are mediums out there, she seems to be a good candidate for actually being one and 2) I would never want to be a medium.

I mean really, can you imagine? What a burden that would be! I mean if its true, those people just can't ever turn it off. And they also can't turn off the living who pester them to try to contact their dead Uncle Albert about the hidden jewelry and stuff.

So what do you think? Are you a believer? Is it possible that our energy can get stuck here for some reason and that there are people who can actually see the dead?

Unrelated: see africankelli's post about the Bond party. I was too busy consuming libations to break out the camera, so go check out her pics. Slinky red dress, as promised. Very fun!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI! Allison DuBois is going to be on Oprah. I heard it on the radio this morning. It's being taped tomorrow so I'm not sure when it will air. Listen to John Jay and Rich 104.7

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those kinds of shows scare the heck out of me, but I still watch them.. hehe.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend that can see ghosts...and spirits visit her to give messages to living people!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com