Friday, January 26, 2007

1,000 Cranes

I've not posted this week. There's just something about being sorta depressed that makes me not want to share what's going on with the world. I didn't want to come on here and be all complainy. I do that enough to my poor girlfriends on email every day. But today, today I got a reminder that there's just so much good in the world.

My mom's been in the hospital for more chemo this week. Other then some fever spikes, nausea and not sleeping (not because of chemo, but because of the insane practice of doing CONSTRUCTION at all hours of the night in the hospital), she's doing really well. I wish I could explain just what a great attitude she's got. Everything's a learning experience in her eyes, and the bad stuff rolls right off her. And she's always got her witty sense of humor about her. Like for instance: her chemo IV pole is not only plugged into her, but the wall as well. So when she wants to simply move around her room to get exercise or just to be out of bed, its a production. She's dubbed it 'pole dancing'. Hehe! Now that's a good attitude.

Anyway, back to the good in the world... Today a lady from my mom's work told her she was going to stop by with a gift that was from the people at the company. My mom had no idea what to expect. Well, there's this story about a young girl in Japan who contracted leukemia as a result of the nuclear bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. While she was in the hospital, a friend reminded her of the old story that if you made 1,000 paper cranes, the gods would reward you with a wish. So she started making the cranes. She was in the 600s when she died. Now, she is a celebrated figure in Japan, and people around the world send paper cranes to be placed at the foot of her statue.

Well today.... today my mom's friends delivered her 1,000 paper cranes that they'd made. I have a hard time even writing that. I'm just so amazed by my mother and how she's touched people's lives, and it is evident by the love that has come back to her. It is just amazing.

So instead of focusing on the crappy stuff that happened this week (pipes exploding in our house much?), I choose to think about the good things in my life today. Like tomorrow I'm taking the monster dogs to a charity dog walk for assistance dogs. There's going to be a great dane drill team performing! How hilarious is that! And tomorrow night I'm going to a surprise party for my Aunt Deb who came back from Iraq this week. AND, my mom is checking out of the hospital tomorrow. So much good stuff to be happy for!

So that's it for me. Tomorrow the plan is to post again, maybe with some pictures of the spinach ricotta crepes I made early this week. Maybe great dane drill team pics! Maybe all about how my stinky dog is getting her sacks squeezed tomorrow! The options are endless! Later!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Sorry to hear about all those bad things; hope things turn out for you.

Michele sent me here.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Begered said...

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. It must be very difficult for you and your family. Hearing stories like yours maks me very happy about my decision to join Team in Training for the Leukemia Society to fight Leukemia and other blood cancers. Please stop by my site...
My thoughts are with your mother.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that your mom's friends delievered all those cranes. What a beautiful, and thoughtful gesture.
Hope your mom's chemo goes ok.
Take care.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so your post just brought tears to my eyes. :) Your mom DOES have the best sense of humor! Pole danicng? HA! thats great!
xoxoxoxoxo

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com