Sunday, December 10, 2006

Manic

If my posts are a bit manic/depressive, then they fit my mood of late. I know its odd to follow yesterday's post with a post about my good day today, but I refuse to feel guilty about living my life and enjoying it when good things happen. I hope everyone in my family feels the same way, because keeping positive is the only way to get through, you know?

I've been spending a lot of time in the hospital the last week, and I tell you, hospitals are weird places. For one, people walk EVERYWHERE in their socks. Like they live there. Which, I guess, some of them are doing for a short time, but its odd to see
people walking around the cafeteria in socks. Second, its weird how hospitals are filled with people at their lowest moments, as well as people at their most exciting. The ward next to the one I visit is where the babies are. It almost seems unfair to have such new, beautiful life next to people who are fighting for theirs, you know? And third, I could never be a medical person. I'm a bit sqeemish, but that's not what I'm talking about. How do those nurses and doctors (but especially nurses) keep on a cheery face all the time? How do they stay so friendly without getting emotionally involved? I mean some people they treat might not make it outside the hospital again, but still the nurses treat everyone as if they deserve compasion and understanding. They're amazing.

Oh, I said there was manic in this post, right? Yeah, well after I left the hospital today
I went down to see Ryan at his station. I haven't been to visit him in a long time, so it was such a treat to have a call kick out as soon as I got there! He had a really cool captain today who let me ride, so my camera and I jumped on and we headed out to a dumpster fire. Not too exciting, but its the first time I've ridden since Ryan became a driver and I was so proud. He especially seemed to enjoy using all the siren sounds they have available in the truck.

So as soon as we got down with that, a call for a roll-over accident came out, so we headed that way too. The car was totally smashed, so they had to call for air transport. Ryan's engine was sent down the road to make a landing zone, so I got some great pictures at sunset of the helicopter coming in on the field. I'm actually happy with quite a few of the pictures from today, but here's two for now:





Things I learned today: 1) If there is any chance at all that you might go for a ride-along, its best to wear something other then flip-flops. My feet were caked in dirt after running around in this field. 2) Conveniently forgetting a sweatshirt on a very cold AZ day (re: 65 degrees) results in getting to wear a fire jacket, which is just about as warm as a ski jacket but 5 times as cool. 3) If you are about to jump into a fire truck of any kind, hit the head first. You never know when you're going to have to pee like a race horse, and being stuck in a flat field waiting for a helicopter, with no bushes to squat behind, is hell. Then you'll have to get back in the engine (which is a bumpy ride on any road) and have to go over a washboard dirt road to get back to the pot-holed highway, then a 12 mile ride back to the station where you'll have to duke it out with 4 guys for first dibs on the bathroom. Hell I tell you.

As you can see, I'm coping by keeping busy. This morning I made enough food for one casserole pan worth of baked ziti, 4 tupperwares for freezing of mushroom bisque, and 3 tupperwares for freezing of chili for a family member who could use it during this tough time we're going through. (Another random observation about what I'm going through: I have, for the first time in my life, forgotten meals two days in a row. That freaks me out 'cause usually I plan my days around food.)

That's about all I've got here. This week is going to be tough, but I really feel like blogging about this, even if I'm skirting the actual issue, is helping. So here's wishing you all a very safe, happy week this week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool pictures! Sounds like you had a very nice, distracting sort of day that came at a good time.
Nurses have a very weird sense of humour, and I think that is what helps them get through the day. That, and a lot of wine when you get home.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys have it so much easier on a call when they have to go. They always seem to find a tree or bush. And gear is nice and toasty when the temps drop down. But I still think 60 is quite warm. It was about 15 Friday night when I was out playing.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com