Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Political Eavesdropping

I can't stop grinning today. I usually try to steer clear of politics and the like on this site because I don't want to offend anyone (like family) who doesn't agree with me. But you know what? It's my blog and you can choose to stop reading if you don't agree just like I'd choose to tell you to cork it if you sit in the area of my desk at work and are using phrases like 'Liberal bastards' and 'Those idiots'. Besides that, I'm just too giddy and worked up today to not express how happy I am for my state and the possible future of the country today.

First, if you're not from Arizona you might not have heard that MY state is the first EVER to say NO! to an amendment to our state constitution that is discriminatory in nature toward gay people. Hell yeah!

Second, I think we've together sent a message to our government that we are absolutely not happy with the direction our country is headed. We want change, and we want it now.

Third, and this is really not going to be popular, but I'm pretty happy with the immigration bills that passed. For the most part I think that the resulting laws will just reinforce that someone here illegally should not have the same rights as citizens. Like the right to in-state tuition for example. I spoke with someone I'm close to who works at a college and they're concerned about drop in enrollment and they, understandably so, are sad because they've known so many illegal immigrants who have been great people who want to learn and have done well in school. I sympathize, but my answer to that was this question: "So how about your students from, say, Pakistan who come here legally on student visas and are not allowed in-state tuition? Is that fair?". So what it comes down to for me is the law is the law, and if you break it you should not be considered equal to a citizen of the US, or any person here legally, in situations such as this. And while I do feel for people who were brought here illegally as children, I feel like we've got avenues for citizenship for a reason and their situation is unfortunate, but it also does not follow the legal path to be considered eligible for the same rights I have as a citizen.

Fourth, I cannot tell you how happy I am that for all the abuse I've taken at my work from all the ultra-conservativos here, they're finally getting a taste of their own medicine, what with the barraging poor innocent liberals, I mean liberal singular, with their opinions all week. I spent the first part of today seething because the guys around here were so upset that they were gutter-mouthing liberals, democrats, idiots who don't understand the issues, and on and on. They make these comments with no regard for who they might offend, and that pisses me off. But then I realized that they're just trying to lick their wounds, and instead of being mad, I should realize that what I had in front of me was a golden opportunity to entertain my readers. So, for your reading pleasure, I have compiled below a short list of some of the things I heard while sitting at my desk today. This list started at about 11am, so you've missed the most volatile of the comments, but it's entertaining none the less. (Oh, and you won't see the enraged, hate-filled comments about homosexuals here, because that's the first thing they got out of their system this morning)

- "It's a brainwashed Congress!"

- "We're in big trouble..."

- "What's scary is if those voters are doing this because of the war, what's going to happen in 2 years?" (we're gonna get a new President, that's what!)

- "She's going to be the House leader?! She's a loony! What are we coming to?"

- "I see it comin'! President Hillary! Amanda would vote for her."

- "The ballots haven't even had a chance to dry yet and they're already screwing the country up"

- "Rumsfeld stepped down? Oh man, change is in the wind. Luckily they replaced him with one of Bush's buddies so we should be OK"

- "Oh baby, that's what I like..." (Oh wait, that was the farter/singer/whistler/talking-to-himself guy over the wall just being normal)

And as an added bonus feature I give you the following conversation:

Guy 1: Did you see that Minnesota elected a Muslim to the House?

Guy 2: A Muslim?? Let's hope he's one of the good ones!

Guy 3: Yeah, can you say 'Sleeper'?!

All: BWAHAHA!

Nice, huh? It reminds me of that Borat film where they catch real-life Americans saying things they KNOW are discriminatory, but they don't think it MEANS anything because it's in 'jest', right? Be careful what you say! You could end up in a movie or on someone's blog.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a question for you: Would you vote for Clinton? And second part: Do you think the rest of the country would? I for one would love to see the course our country would take once a woman is in office (I am not saying I think it would be better, but I'm definitely curious), but I'm not sure the "country" would go for that just yet..do you think??

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love living in seattle. even at boeing 95% of the ppl i work with hate bush and the neocons =D

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com