Tuesday, November 28, 2006

NaBloPoMo Day 28 - Two more to go!

I really am running out of things to say. I've been posting every day for the last 28 days. You know how you're supposed to train for a marathon so you're in shape for the long run? I think jumping right into this marathon of posting might not have been the wisest. I was totally out of shape. On the other hand, I've pushed through and I'm in the final stretch and I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

Last year I was in a group at work that banded together and collected enough money to adopt 9 Christmas Angles. I was so blessed to have been chosen one of the people to take the money and buy for some of the children. Ryan and I spent 2 hours in Target and bought shoes, clothes and toys for 5 of the kids. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

Well this year I'm not in that group, and the group I'm in isn't exactly the giving type, so I'm on my own. Ryan and I agreed that we would set aside enough money to adopt a child this Christmas, so today I went downstairs in my office building to the Angel tree to pick out our kid. There were a ton of kids waiting to be adopted for the holiday, but I was shocked by what they were asking for. Bikes, mp3 players, Playstations, DVDs, video games, life-size dolls, kid-sized cars that really drive... Am I wrong to be a little shocked by that, or am I just cheap? Admittedly I don't know much about kids, but those seem like really big, expensive gifts. And don't forget that on top of all those big presents each adopter also much buy the outift and the shoes. That's just a lot of money.

Then I stepped back and realized that it is just plain cruel of me to think, even if it was just to myself, that kids in unfortunate situations shouldn't wish for the popular toys. So I made a compromise with myself. I might not be able to afford a $240 Playstation, but I can afford something.

So this Christmas Ryan and I will be helping Carlos, age 3, to have a very Merry Christmas. Carlos will have a very fun remote control car. Maybe even something in the form of a 4x4. Maybe this monster truck.

So how about you? Do you have programs like this in your area? Are you planning on helping someone else to have a happier holiday season?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you are doing that.

I'm sure those kids are just trying to keep up with their friends. Just because they have very little, doesn't mean they don't hang with kids who have those things. But yeah, it's pretty expensive.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year, I've donated two hens and a rooster for my in-laws, and two little piggies for my mom through World Vision. It's the first time I've done this, but I feel pretty good about it. I'll be curious to see their reactions!

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a moms group, we've "adopted" a family of 5. So we're getting gifts, food, etc for the entire family. I too, was pretty shocked by the things on their list. But you're right, then I checked myself and said 'what, because they're less fortunate they can't want fun thing?" I'm looking forward to doing my shopping for that..

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know of anything...but I should do some reasearch! Maybe that would be a good post for your Nanblahbo posts!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If I had a million dollars, If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a fur coat (but not a real fur coat thats cruel)" HAHA! SO JEALOUS! You know, apparently Chris used to get mistaken for the lead singer all the time when he wore chunky dark rimmed glasses.. funny huh? Have a great time!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com