Monday, November 20, 2006

My Toof Hurts - NaBloPoMo Day 20

I've got a dentist phobia. When I have cavities filled just having all those hands and and the bumper things and the gauzy things and the drill and I'm choking on my spit and water and the noise... I start to hyperventilate and more then once I've panicked and reached up to pull all that junk out. My dentist is great and very patient with me, and I do understand that the whole thing is irrational, but nothing I do to calm myself down works.

I've had this sensitive tooth for about 2 years now. Last Friday that tooth turned from sensitive to excruciating. Whenever I ate hot or cold food that tooth ached all the way down into my jaw. So today I visited my dentist and after he did some tests that included tapping, pulling, and applying SUPER cold and super hot to it, he announced, "That tooth is dead". So it turns out that Karma is not the only family member who gets a root canal this month. *pout* Scary!

The good thing is that the dentist gave me some valium-like stuff for the day of, vicadin to take from now until then, and I get a day off work. Woo hoo!

So tell me, have you ever had a root canal? Was it as bad as you thought it would be?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a couple root canals, and they're not as painful as you would think, at all!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I've had one and, while the drugs and outcome were both very good, it induced the same panic you describe from the cavity filling. You might see if your dentist will prescribe you something to calm you down to take beforehand. Best of luck!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com