Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Love from Home

My Godmother Deb has been deployed to Iraq for the second time. This woman is a saint I tell you. She's a nurse, so they've got a big need for her over there. She's been gone about a month now, and it still makes me giggle to think of my dimple-cheeked adorable Aunt Debby wearing fatigues romping around the desert over there. This is at her going away party:


Adorable, huh? Sorry guys! She's taken. :-) Anyway, the other day I was thinking back to when I was in England last year for 3 months. It seemed like eternity! I just wanted to be back home with my family and friends, and I wanted Mexican food so bad. And England's not really in a country ravaged by war, so I had a cake walk compared to what she and our other soldiers are going through.


I don't care what your opinion is of this war we're fighting, it is simply amazing that there are people in our country who believe in a cause so much that they'd risk their lives for us like these guys are doing. So it was a small price to pay to put together a nice care package for Deb to remind her that people are thinking of her back home. I got everyone in my family to contribute cards, snacks, DVDs, Christmas/fall decorations, and more. I can't imagine how much something like that would mean to someone stuck in Iraq. Here's the loot:


So, do you know anyone who's deployed who could really use a letter or a simple 'thinking of you' card? (and by the way, all mail to soldiers goes through an address in the US, so the postage isn't unbearable. AND, some postal places offer free boxes and packing for packages going to Iraq and Afganistan).

I've got an insane week this week. Besides anything, tomorrow my
dad is having a complete shoulder replacement. Crazy, huh? He's the bionic man. He's gone through 3 knees on his right, 1 on his left, and all kinds of other insane bone things. Tomorrow night my parents gave Ryan tickets to go see Wynton Marsalis for his b-day. Fun! Ryan's parents are going with us. And Friday is my man's birthday. We promised no gifts, but I just can't help myself. He deserves it! I couldn't have wished a better man for myself.

And because today's his last shift before his birthday, you know I had to bake for the boys at the station. These peanut butter cookies (made with orange honey in place of some of the brown sugar) were delivered on a Happy Birthday platter. They are just the perfect amount of chewy. Mmmmm. Good thing I saved a few for myself at home.





2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I'm sure she is well needed over there but that is too bad she had to go away. That's really cute all the stuff she's getting!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!! I'd love that recipe if you'd email it to me!! I'm putting together a cookbook for Grace.. recipes from my family and friends!

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com