Monday, September 11, 2006

The Unavoidable Post

Everything about September 11th is so, I don't know.... done? I don't want to just write a lame blog post about it. I've read more eliquent writers today describe their feelings beautifully. I guess I don't feel like I'm that good about describing things like that. But do I have to? Don't you all feel that way too? Like you're lacking in ways to describe how you're feeling, and you feel the need to justify why it is you feel so strongly. I mean honestly, other then watching 9/11 unfold on TV and suffering the after-effects, how many of us actually knew someone who was injured or killed? Right? So what gives us the right to claim 9/11 as our own?

But see, that's the thing. I feel like it belongs to all of us. Today I obsessively listened to Howard Stern's replay of 9/11/01. I couldn't stop listening once I got to work, so I broke the rules and streamed Sirius at my desk. After the replay they had a discussion (today, not a replay) about how it is 5 years after. Well those New Yorkers were talking about how angry it made them that people, TOURISTS, flocked to Ground Zero like it was a tourist attraction, and how businesses were profiting from others' tragedy. Ok, honestly I can see how they'd feel that way, but still... It made me a little mad. Or sad? I don't know. Because really, I do feel like what happened that day happened to all of us, and that our country is more together as a result of it.

And because I'm a glutten for punishment, I listened to 6 hours of Howard replays, looked through pictures of today and five years ago on the Internet, and talking about everything with coworkers and friends. And while I can understand that some people purposely avoid this day and pretend its not the anniversary of something horrible, I honestly feel like we have to remember, we SHOULD remember. Because without that day, there'd be a little less appreciation for what we all have in our lives that's good.

3 Comments:

Blogger jennypenny said...

Far from a lame blog post my dear. In fact you were elloquent and described your feelings beautifully. It certainly was, and continues to be, a situation close to all of our hearts. Whether in NYC, other parts of the US and even here in Canada. Lest we not forget...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Very well said.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Madam Sakura said...

I was living on Long Island 5 years ago on 9/11...It was a horriffic day to be sure. There was something about the way that then entire state came together as never before that sort of imprinted in my brain that the rest of the country could noever understand. After living out here across the country now for these past few years I am beginning to see the effects that day had on EVERYONE.

Though I will admit that I do not believe that the whole country had as much fear as us Long Islanders simply because all the bridges and tunnels were shut down. Escape was not an option for a few days and we were prisoners in our homes, unsure what was to transpire in the aftermath. It was the scariest few days of my life. Not long after I moved away. An island is a scary place to live...There's simply no escape...

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com