Monday, August 28, 2006

The Reunion that Ate the World

I'm telling you, this reunion thing? I'm going to be glad when its over. Remember when I first joined the committee and it was all about how cool everyone is now, how fun it would be to plan a party, how I'd have a chance to meet new people? The honeymoon is over kids. It seems that there are people with lots of different ideas, and we're not having an easy time listening to each other's opinions. I'm trying to say this nicely because although I'm a little upset about some stuff, I do like these girls and I want the reunion to be good. I'm just amazed that after 10 years, the high school drama continues. People are actively sending emails on the sly to each other trying to get people on their side. I'm not entirely innocent in that respect, but I'm to the point where I just don't know how to handle it anymore. I think we've all just put in a lot of work and we all feel some ownership in the event. It just.... sucks right now. And honestly I'm going to be glad when this thing is all over. In the next month I've been tasked to burn a crapload of CD memory books, put together a slide show, and format and print pictures of all the attending classmates (then AND now) for centerpieces. Yikes. And *sigh*.

OK, but I have BIG and EXCITING news. That's a lot of capital letters people. Emphasis on 'big'. The Big Apple! Ryan and I decided last minute to go w/ a group of guys from his department to the Tunnel to Towers run in New York. The run is in memorial to a NYC firefighter who was on his way home on 9/11 when the towers were hit. He jumped out of his truck at Battery Tunnel (south of Manhattan), put on his gear, and ran all the way to the Towers to try and help. He lost his life that day. The run follows the same route that Stephen Siller ran and it benefits burn centers across the country, childrens organizations (especially orphans because Stephen was one), and more recently children who suffered from Hurricane Katrina. Its only a 5k, but I'm training for it because I really want to do well. I want to run without stopping. Well, with the exception of when I need to take a picture of course (I'm carrying a small camera). We run through the entire tunnel, through Battery Park, and then finish at Ground Zero.

We're going on this trip with 6 other firefighters and one other wife. Its going to be 4 full days of drinking, eating, walking, and being out of countrol. I'm so excited! I'm a lucky girl that I've got a husband who thinks I'm cool enough to hang out with the boys. Our plan is to get in on Thursday and have a nice dinner and drink some fancy NYC drinks. The rest of the group gets in on Friday morning and then the party starts. We've got the firefighter Pasta Dinner on Saturday night, Sunday is the run and festival, and there are also plans to visit some fire stations in the City for pictures and to trade shirts with the other guys. And! Surprise, surprise, but the burliest of the bunch asked us if we'd be willing to see a Broadway show with them.

Speaking of, we saw Wicked last weekend. I'm telling you, that's a good show. I left there humming the songs and with lots to talk about. Its the very last of our season tickets. My parents have had them since I was about 12 and I'm bummed that its over. Maybe some day we'll get them again. I do love going to the theater.

Prepare yourself for more reunion talk and more NYC plans. Add to that a trip to Mexico in a month and half and we're crazy busy! Talk atcha soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

hi from michele's! reunions... yuck... i think i missed my 10 yr reunion because hubby was working.. was supposed to go with best friend from high school but i had a miscarriage a few weeks before the reunion so i didn't go... your trip to new york sounds awesome! good for you in getting involved in the run... what a great benefit!!!! sounds like you have quite a busy life!

9:56 PM  
Blogger CT said...

Yeah reunions suck, I actually crashed mine with a few friends.. LOL... So I guess you could say I didn't get caught up in crazy drama emails... Anyway good luck with that...

Thanks for visiting ..

Cheers,
Craig

5:43 PM  
Blogger jennypenny said...

I am totally prepared for more reunion talk.. I am so amused by it all. And you lucky lucky girl to get to go on all these fun trips. The trip to NYC sounds amazing. You are going to have the greatest time and I am sure it is going to be a very powerful and memorable run. Good luck!

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read this we're watching "Inside 9/11".. have fun!! We're all behind you guys.. That makes me proud of you guys for doing that..

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com