Thursday, June 15, 2006

Amanda, Private Eye

I have turned into an obsessive Internet stalker. I've gotten really good at finding people. You missing someone? I can find them for you.

The problem is.... I discovered this site as a tool:
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

That right there is a death finder.

When I was IN high school our year was deemed by the news as 'The Doomed Class'. I don't remember them all to specifically, but for sure I know we lost one to drowning in a lake, one to cancer, and 4 were killed by drunk drivers in two separate 'accidents'. That's a lot for high schoolers to deal with.

So I'm thinking, out of a class of almost 800 people, only a short 10 years out of high school, how many people died before their time? So when I finally hit a dead end with about half of my names for the reunion, I turned to the death finder site. I did it while watching TV, not really paying too much attention, because really? Why should I expect to find anyone who had died?

Well I did. A girl named Jessica died only 3 weeks after graduation. I couldn't find her obituary, but the death was filed in Hawaii. Was she on a senior trip to celebrate graduation before heading off for college?

Anyway, 2 months ago if you'd asked me I would have told you I would have to be dragged to my reunion. Well now I've gotten myself so involved that I'm sort of a voyeur to these people's lives. And I really do feel ashamed that while I'm going through my list I don't even recognize half the names. And more than that, I hope I can keep myself from getting to the reunion and reverting back into that wall flower I'm afraid I was in high school.

******

OK, to change the subject a bit. If you're not watching So You Think You Can Dance, you're missing out! I swear! I had Ryan watch yesterday's episode w/ me when I got home from the RC meeting, and it was half hour after our bed time when he said, "Let's just watch ONE more couple...". Even Ryan loves it! I like that blonde kid w/ the mohawk.

In other news, my father-in-law (hi Bob!) was kind enough to do some research on that CRP number I was talking about. Yeah, well turns out it could be any number of things, INCLUDING the virus that causes cold sores. Dude. My doctor lady WROTE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR COLD SORE MEDS at the same visit as she told me I was basically dying because of that CRP number. I think I need a new, sane doctor.

Don't expect too many posts out of me till next week. Ryan is on his 5-day, so its all Ryan, all the time. :-) Love ya!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classmates is a great tool.. so is reunion.com. One of best I've found though is Myspace. You can do a search by school and grad year on there. My job for our reunion (next month) was to track down as many people as possible. Myspace actually got me the most results. The website is nowhere near powerful enough for the traffic generated, but if you get lucky with a good connection, you can get some work done.

2:30 PM  
Blogger M said...

I checked out the website and, thankfully, discovered that I'm not dead!
I was starting to wonder, so this is reassuring.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com