Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Rotors Turning

Oh man. I had the MOST exciting day. Through work I know a pilot who took me on a helicopter ride today! We were out for an hour and a half cruising over the desert. Arizona is so beautiful and complex from the sky. We went out the Salt River, the Verde River, out by Saguaro lake, out towards Sycamore creek, and over the open desert. It was just gorgeous. The desert is so dry but you could see millions of little fingers making their way where water had run. The saguaros looked so tiny, and you could barely make out crisscrossings of animal tracks in the riverbeds. It was so thrilling!

Is it stupid that I'm having issues adjusting to my new fancy blog home? I was so used to my little grey site with the picture of the firefighters I took on top. I'm a little overwhelmed, and a little uninspired.

I don't talk about cooking much here, which is kind of silly because I'm a little obsessed. Amazingly, Ryan and I are equal in how often when cook, which is so great. He is a BBQ expert and a master of marinades. I specialize in things that are so complicated that I get flustered and stressed. But it almost always turns out alright! Besides making dinners, I love to bake. Cakes are what I seem to do most, and since I don't actually eat them myself, the firefighters always benefit. Hey! I figure they deserve it for taking such good care of my man. Yesterday I made my first chiffon cake. After it is baked, you actually take the thing out and flip it upside down and rest it on the neck of a wine bottle for an hour to cool. Isn't that weird? Homemade icing, and it was done. It got rave reviews from the station, but that doesn't mean much because they'll eat anything. ;-) I need a more discerning audience.

My trainer kicked my ass today. I've lost 5 pounds! And that's even with all the muscle I'm putting on, so I'm happy. Sadly though, the 1500 calorie thing is still a struggle. Today I got to dinner and only had 200 calories left. You know what you can eat for 200 calories? An apple and a bowl of lettuce, no dressing. Booo!

I've got photography class tonight, which means I'll have loads of free time to visit all your sites. Happy Wednesday to you!

9 Comments:

Blogger jennypenny said...

Ooh the helicoptor ride does sound exciting. I have never been in one. Did you take any pictures? I love to cook too.. although I am a picky eater I like seeing everyone else enjoy what I have made.. even if I dont eat it. lol

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me :-)

A helicopter ride? How AWESOME is that?

And congrats on the 5 lbs. 1500 calories is tough, I know. I'm trying also.

And I'm very jealous of your photography class. Is it a digital class?

9:00 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

I love how you have to fold the egg whites into the chiffon cakes. They are so light and airy.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Hey...there is a recipe in Marthas Living magazine this month you might like. It's called Tangerine Chiffon Cake. Looks easy!
I didn't realize that YOU took that pic of the firefighters. Cool!
I'm sure you'll get used to your new site, it really does look great, makes me think about doing something more exciting with mine...only I'm not all that computer literate, so I'm imagining that it would be too much of a pain in the a$$

2:07 PM  
Blogger suleyman said...

Lucky you. I've always wanted to be able to say "Get to zee CHOPPAH!" and mean it.

-Suley

6:34 PM  
Blogger Fatma said...

Just that! A Helicopter treat! How lucky you are!

Am trying to cut on weight, nothing seems to work. I feel good the way I am, but health has got to be considered and all...

I think WE call that a sponge cake. The same receipt used for swissrolls too.

Fitèna
PS: Have a great week end!!!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this food talk is making me hungry. Here from Michele's.

Cheers!

8:07 PM  
Blogger srp said...

Here from Michele.
Helicopter ride, what fun. Did you have your camera? Great panoramas from up there.

8:18 PM  
Blogger melati said...

I wonder if the pilot you flew with was my dad. :)

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me

  • CLICK HERE to visit my wedding, portrait, and event business website

  • By TwitterButtons.com

    Name:
    Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

    I'm Amanda. I'm an engineer in an industry full of men, a professional wedding and family portrait photographer, a firefighter's wife, a traveler, and a dogMa.

    daily reads

  • africankelli
  • chi town teacher
  • realtor extraordinaire
  • the other amanda
  • Sunny Inspiration
  • Fond of Snape
  • Goofy Girl
  • Kross-Eyed Kitty
  • NetChick
  • Amalah
  • Jessica Claire
  • [B]ecker
  • The Sweet Life
  • Stop, Drop & Blog
  • Roanoke Firefighters
  • First Response Coalition
  • flickr

    Amanda's Photos

    blogger archives

  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com